Saturday, December 10, 2011

2 weeks old.

This parenting gig is a tricky business isn't it?

Our little bubba has a thing called tongue tie. I hate this because a) it makes feeding excruciating for me and b) I hate the idea of it being called tongue tie. She is not tongue tied, she is very expressive thanks very much.
So after two weeks of really painful feeding, including blood and cracks and both of us crying at the same time, we have resorted to using a bottle with expressed milk. Welcome to the family, mother guilt. I don't even know why i feel guilty about it. I guess it's because I wish I could just give my baby what she needs without any problems or bottles.
Anyway, we are having an appointment with a consultant on Tuesday to see if we can just get it fixed up and go back to breast feeding. This expressing malakay is exhausting as I feed her, then express, then have about an hour or so before she is hungry again and around we go again. Thank God for Welsh, thank God the baby sleeps for 4 or 5 hours at night, thank God our friend gave us a bottle steriliser "just in case" even though i was hell bent on breast feeding. And Thank God for Skype and the fact that my sister has had three kids and laughs in the face of nipple confusion.

Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

  1. Oh sweetheart. Be gone mother guilt! I had an awful time breastfeeding too. And I think expressing is unsustainable and exhausting. You are doing a brilliant job and giving Nell everything she needs! Even if she ended up on formula it is not the end of the world. I had to top Emi up from 2 months because I just wasn't cutting the mustard.

    Would love to Skype you soon - I keep waking up to late and I know I will be all shouty at night and wake Emi up. So we need to find a time. I will email you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought who is that crazy sister with 3 kids!? And yeah i did that.....
    Hang in there, express as much as you can and without doubt i promise Nell will accept your bossoms as soon as her tongue is fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh such a tricky time. i didn't even think to check your blog for news/updates. i am glad i checked tonight. i would really like to skype soon. i hope nell is recovering well and that you are enjoying this crooked path of motherhood, so many pathways to choose, and sideway steps to take. enjoy every moment. mwah x

    ReplyDelete