Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What i think about, when i think about running.

For me, running is not just about the physical action of putting one foot in front of the other. It is more than the breathlessness, the pounding of sneakers on concrete. More complex than the wind on my face, a song in my ear.

Running for me is about proving to myself that i can do it. When my legs are screaming "noooo!!!" and my heart is pounding out of my chest, my brain is quiet except for a few words whispering out in time with my feet. you. can. do. it. just. keep. going. stop. thinking. keep. going.

I mean, that's like life isn't it? We get so distracted with the future, the past, the possibilities, the consequences. So busy in fact that we forget about the right here and right now. About putting one foot in front of the other. We worry that we better conserve energy, fret over the fact that in five minutes we might be too tired to keep going. But what about right now? Right this second? Well, that's a different story.

Eight months ago today, i went for my first run. I wanted to be able to run five K's by March. Instead, my marriage broke up, i moved house, started personal training, started dating someone really amazing, doubted myself, cut my hair, hugged my cat goodbye, wrote short stories, met celebrities, ignored the pain in my heel, read a million books and got HD's for every single essay i wrote.
And now? I am still putting one foot in front of the other...but there is a definite spring in my step.

Happy Wednesday.

1 comment: