Thursday, September 8, 2011

The good things about a weird situation

My sister always has cool dreams. She dreamt once that Lady Gaga had her over for a party and gave her really cool gifts. She seems to have a talent for dreaming about fantasies and fun things. I dream mostly about really boring stuff. It's like my brain needs a break from the excitement of my day to day life. (This is a joke. The most exciting thing that happened yesterday was that my ex husband sent me a recipe for this delicious beetroot and beef casserole he used to make. Seriously, someone lend me a meditation CD because I am WAY too over stimulated right now.)
I actually have found that i dream way less than i did a few years ago. Trauma related? I might google it tomorrow if i have time between cooking a casserole and waiting for the Bachelor to start. Anyway, I had this anxiety dream last night that my rent was due, I was living in my old apartment, and I was trying to work out dates for when I'd be getting paid and for how I would manage to pay rent (budgeting has never been my forte.) I woke up all worried before realising that I was in Wales, 6 months pregnant and have not worried about rent for the last little while. It was a relief (until I put two and two together and saw the link between rent being due and a baby being due.)

So my point, and I do have one is this: I am so lucky to be living here and having this experience in Wales. It was not our first choice of residence but it means that Welshy can come to every single appointment with me and do cute things like hold up a little pair of baby slippers and say "awwww look!!" in a really uncharacteristically soppy, yet genuine, way. Because he has his own business here, there is no boss to call or ask for time off from. Thank god for this because i have an appointment every second week and they are BORING when you don't have a little friend to have a coffee with between pathology and radiology. It also means that the usual worries about money for rent are minimised so I don't have to work. I have not had an episode of bleeding since week 14 and I stopped work at 16 weeks, when i got here, and i think those two things are related.
Also, we get to live in a really close knit community where moses baskets and cots are passed from house to house every couple of years. Birth stories are told in the pub (sometimes alarming) and people share homegrown cooking apples (Welshy's mum) broad beans (me) and advice about prams (apparently the drink holders on Mothercare's range is the perfect size for a pint glass. Handy.)
And for crying out loud, there is a river next to our house that Welsh is currently fishing in and it doesn't get more peaceful than that. For the both of us. Ahem.
I am so lucky. I know not everyone has such a supportive partner, I know not everyone has financial security and I know not everyone has lots of people around them who are almost just as excited to have a new member of the village, as I am. (I'm not referring to the "it takes a village to raise a child" philosophy by the way, I mean the actual village that we live in.)
I guess having nannied in the past and worked closely with teenage parents just makes me so grateful. Grateful that we are doing this, that we are doing this here and that i am doing it with Welsh. It overrides all the scary statistic fears (60%-70% c-section, scary percent pre term labour) the painful steroid injections in my thigh and the bizarro jibber jabber that is the welsh language, medical speak and a pregnant mind, combined.

Yeah, I guess i just wanted to write about feeling grateful for a change.

I hope that there is lots to be grateful for in your life today too.

x

1 comment:

  1. grateful for friends and family that is for shizzle kitten!

    don't dwell on percentage chance risks... much love to the little cat in the oven and her mumma and papa!

    ReplyDelete