Sunday, January 16, 2011

A run through.

Get it? RUN through. How hilarious.

Guess what i just did? Got a job? Nope. Got divorced? No. Serviced my car? Boring.

No, those are all the bleh things on my very long to do list. What i actually did, was run 2km today. AND i walked 2km. And i also walked an incidental 1.9km today too, just for good measure (and coffee.)

I’m doing laps around the local oval you see. Today the first lap was hard, the second lap was less hard but still boring. The third was as easy as the fourth and by the fifth I was just keen to get finished so it was quite easy. From house to back to the house again was a total of 35 minutes. I was really red when i got home. It is not attractive.

Oh i just remembered i did more walking today. I walked around the gardens near my old house. It is impossibly beautiful there. All ponds and greenhouses and over sized chess boards. It is also the place i got married almost three years ago. I have walked through that garden about 100 times. Run through it. Ridden my bike through it. Had picnics there, written letters, drunk beer and laughed at cockatoos. Today i discovered a secret path that i had never come across before. How is that even possible? I could not believe that I, biggest romantic i know, lover of all things whimsical, subscriber to the notice the little, strange and subtle things philosophy had been completely blind to a secret path for all these years. It is a planned path, not something created by people wanting to get drunk in the bushes.
So obviously i walked the secret path as it wound it’s way through crooked trees and beds of violets. I thought about how my imaginary friend as a child was called Violet. And how she hated going to kinder and the woman down the road. I wondered how Violet is doing now.
When i emerged at the other end of the path i kind of half stumbled back onto the main track again, into the sunlight, right in front of a gate. I walked through it, backwards. Well, not backwards, i mean i walked forwards but going in the other direction as before. And by before, i mean the day i got married.

Things to remember;
When i don’t feel like running, just run anyway.
Even though I think you know everything, I can still be surprised.
The day I got married, I didn’t know about the secret path, but it had existed all along. It offers a different path which is beautiful in its own right and even more beautiful because it is different.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, my little whimsical friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing K, but I am still laughing about the car incident! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took up running last year (because I can never get away long enough for a swim). I love it.

    You need a training goal. Not sure if you have one!

    A friend and I are doing the 14km Run for the Kids on April if you'd like to join us! Good cause. Raises money for RCH.

    And don't worry. I've never run 15kms before either. But after doing a 10km run last Oct I learnt an amazing thing - when you're running alongside thousands of others and allowed to run freely through city streets with no cars on them you run faster and better and even enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. * Reread my comment last night, but was too tired to qualify. I didn't mean it to so sound so bossy. What I meant to say was 'If' you need a training goal.
    I shouldn't post messages when I am sleep deprived......

    ReplyDelete