Thursday, June 23, 2011

Exercise. Country style.

Hylo!

Last night I ventured out of my warm little stone cottage and back into the magical land of exercise.

Exercising in the countryside presents a completely different set of challenges than in the city. In Melbourne, If i was to go for a run at 10.30pm, I would be worried about getting attacked. I'd be conscious of cars and well lit streets and rounding corners slowly so I didn't bash into someone.
Last night after checking murder stats in the village for the last 100 years with Welshy (zero murders, rapes, aggravated assaults or armed robberies by the way) I set out for a close-to-midnight run.
I strolled up and out of the village into the countryside. I stopped worrying about being hit by a car because not one car drove past me. I also stopped worrying about strangers kidnapping me because there were no people. I did see a strange little animal at one point-in the dusk light, it could have been a squirrel, could have been a rat. I'm going to go with squirrel this time because the thought of a squirrel sized rat makes me ill. I waved to a few sheep and giggled at the quaintness of farm gates and wild buttercups.
With nothing for company except Damien Rices first album and a deep sense of external safety, i started feeling...well kinda bored. I can't even run properly because there is a fishbowl in my stomach. It's all swooshy and not tight.

Anyway, I went home and then Welsh and I went for a midnight tour of the grave yard and scared the shite out of ourselves (me mostly) by walking into the pitch black (unlocked) church. Then we spied on the people in the pub through the rear window and chased each other, laughing, all the way home.

The second run was definitely more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment