Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wales: Week One.

It's early in the morning here in Wales. The birds are chirping, the sun is shining, the tea is perfect and I can see sheep in a field from my lounge room window.

My flight was only mildly torturous. I had a stop in Bangkok that was long enough to drink lemonade at a bar and have a foot massage, before another 12 hour flight straight into London. And who was waiting at the airport as the doors opened in front of me? Welsh of course. The very reason I am here.

Of course, i caught a cold somewhere along the line and discovered the joyous fact that pregnant people cannot get drugged up on cold and flu tablets. When the pharmacist suggested I "wait it out" I actually walked back to the car and cried. I was jet lagged with a head cold so ferocious that my teeth ached. I've really only left the house a few times since then to try and get fresh air. I also have a pollen allergy so that's awesome.

In happier news:
i went to the local Doctor yesterday to get a referral to a hospital. Navigating a really unfamiliar healthcare system is quite confusing. From what i could gather, he passes on my information to....someone....then i get a community midwife who visits me in a couple of weeks to talk about birth plans and sex (according to Welsh's brother.) So she will come to my house. I wonder if i should make cake or something. Then she links me in to a hospital that best suits my plan (my plan by the way is to have multiple people in white coats standing by with many drugs and baby equipment) and then i have scans etc there. She will visit me a few more times and also be there when the baby is born. It all seems rather simple really. Surely we are missing something.

Oh, I also wanted to write about how much i love my new house. My favourite things are the stream that runs on the other side of our garden wall, the fireplace, my reading nook that looks over the back garden, pay tv, and the bed linen that Welsh chose before i arrived, which has butterflies on it. I know. Totally cute.

I went to the pub once. It weirded me out. I can't understand Welsh or the Welsh accent very well. And the jokes don't seem that funny to me. Probably because i cannot drink. Everyone kept saying "Well done!" about getting pregnant and asking me how i felt. I'm not sure how i was supposed to answer that question. Are you talking about the flight? The pregnancy? Being in a different country with people i cannot understand?? Telling them "fine thanks" seemed to satisfy their eager faces. I didn't stay very long.

My neighbour gave me a welcome card. She also gave Welsh a card to wish him well on his journey to London to collect me. She is big on cards.

I need to get a job before I lose my mind.

xxxx

1 comment:

  1. that is my favorite post ever! keep them coming lover! x

    ReplyDelete