Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Walk is the new run.

I've just been reading my wonderful friends post over at www.writehub.blogspot.com . Kate has been on a journey of investigation into her migraines and has come to the conclusion that some bodies are not designed to be pushed at every opportunity.
I wonder where this idea comes from? The notion that we should exhaust ourselves and sit on the edge of our limit as much as possible? Humans are a machine and machines get worn out with use. Professional sports people have to retire with bunged up knees, bad ankles and plastic hips about 25 years before other people quit their profession.
Back in Melbourne, I had a couple of episodes of bleeding during this pregnancy which freaked me the eff out. The general vibe after ultrasounds and blood tests and hissy fits at incompetent hospital staff, was that i was over doing it. I couldn't go running and work full time and have late nights without consequence. Suddenly my body no longer obeyed me. What tha?
Now living in the countryside, where half an hour of pre natal yoga or a 3km stroll through the forest is as exciting as it gets, my body is much happier. Strangely, I actually feel stronger. I feel more secure in this pregnancy. Less dependent on coffee and chocolate and more hydrated for some reason.
I guess when it comes to health, we all have a moment that is a wake up call. A funny turn, odd results from the doctor, a little click that sends us to bed for a week. So here's to respecting our limits. At the end of the day health is the most important thing right?

1 comment: