Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Paintbrushes, running and the first day of Spring.

Well hello there dear reader(s)

I've just had a particularly good session with a client-despite the fact i forgot to take paint, paintbrushes or any drawing implements to an art therapy session. Thank goodness my car is FULL of crap such as beads, wire, PVA and felt. What sort of an art therapist forgets to take paint? This kind i tells ya.
Anyway, my client was talking about how she has "landed in her body." i love that idea. That her body was waiting or her all along and suddenly, through a series of art, exercise, extensive counselling and reflection, she finally feels present; awake, aware.

I often have times where i feel myself slipping into the ether of anxiety, busyness (not to be confused with business....), or simply behaviours that fall under the very broad umbrella of Not Being True To Myself. Those times where my inner voice is drowned out by fears or denial or, often, being too tired to listen. My heart flies off into the universe and i have to search my pockets for the tiny piece of thread that anchors it to my body. Then it's just a matter of tugging and twisting until it finds it's way back where it it belongs.

It's hard to get there sometimes though. It's hard to always do the right thing for yourself. Especially when being true to ourself lives inside a can of worm which you may or may not want to open. But at the end of the day, i am brave enough to say no. I am brave enough to disappoint, put my hand up and ask for help. I am brave enough to honor myself and look inside my little soul with the quiet question of "what is it that you really want?" The answer is not always easy to find and often even harder to achieve.

But as my client sat there today, talking about landing back in her body, I couldn't help but think that for all our differences, for every single experience that is miles away from my own, we are one and the same.

1 comment:

  1. so true. one and the same. i feel that daily.

    oxoxox amy

    ReplyDelete