Sunday, October 17, 2010

Everything is Illuminated.

I am obsessed by this novel.
It is different, quirky, multilayered. I want everyone in the world to read it.
I just accosted a man in a book shop. He was quietly browsing the Penguin Classics area and was straying dangerously from said book.

"Do you have Jonothan Safran Foer's other novel?" I asked the assistant loudly as i gestured wildly towards E.I.I.
"No i do not." He said, not even glancing up from the computer screen.
"Well....you should get it in....he is incredible." I nod emphatically at the other customer.

Working in retail myself, i know how annoying it is when someone tells you how to do your job, as though you have a direct line to every single distributor in the country.

"Have you seen the film?" He asks finally looking up, eager to ascertain my linguistic prowess.
"There's a film?" I throw back, poker face.
"Touche"

Meanwhile, the other customer has picked up said novel and it reading the back of it.

"I am always hesitant to watch movies of novels. I mean, we all saw what happened with Eat Pray Love."

We roll our eyes simultaneously.

"Give me your phone number" says the assistant. "I'll get that book and sms you when it comes in."

The other customer sidles up, next to me at the counter. I glance down. Everything is Illuminated.

"You will love it" the crazy bookshop lady says to the frightened man.

Game, set and match.

No comments:

Post a Comment